Statutes Committee Meeting Minutes 12pm, 2.8.10
In attendance: Jeanne Balsam, Sam Graham, Mary Ann Ingram, Richard Moore, Jud Ready, John Stein, Ty Herrington, chair
(1) Clarified process for reviewing changes to Faculty Handbook by Vice Provost's Smith's task force as follows:
• Committee members have already begun review of separate sections, with initial reviews due Feb. 15, 2010.
• After initial review, committee will have identified portions of the handbook that require
- editing changes,
- closer review of inconsistencies with the existing handbook, and
- close review of policy issues.
The review will be undertaken with the overall intention to ensure that changes are consistent with Georgia Tech as well as Georgia Board of Regents policy.
• editing changes and closer review of inconsistencies with existing handbook will be discussed and treated by email;
• policy issues will be ranked in order for close review, discussion, and treatment, and
• policy issues will then be considered, issue-by-issue in face-to-face meetings to be scheduled as necessary.
(2) Committee agreed that effective review will require time for careful treatment. Chair will establish a timeline that is effective for resolving issues and preparing changes for General Faculty approval.
(3) Committee agreed that it will present its changes, in conjunction with changes by Vice-Provost's Smith's task force, in a final version of the Faculty Handbook in toto.
(4) Committee members presented initial progress reports on section reviews to date.
(5) Committee began discussion of the need for a definition for "instructor" and will continue consideration, working through the process outlined above.
Meeting adjourned at 1pm.